Are you dreaming of a Greek island getaway but worried about the high cost of flights? Don’t worry, as there are many ways to save money on your travel expenses. In this blog post, we’ll share ten tips for finding cheap flights to the Greek islands, including travelling during low season, using flight comparison websites, and taking advantage of airline reward programs. By following these tips, you can stretch your travel budget further and embark on an unforgettable adventure to the stunning Greek islands. So, let’s dive in and start planning your next vacation today!
How Seasonal Demand Affects Cheap Flight Prices
The price difference between high and low seasons for flights to Greek islands can be significant. Cheap tickets can be found in the low season, which typically runs from November to March, while the peak season, which includes school holidays and summer months, can result in significantly higher prices. To save money on flights, consider travelling during the low season and booking in advance. Keep in mind that cheap tickets may sell out quickly, so it’s best to plan ahead and compare prices across multiple airlines and travel dates.
Last-Minute Deals or Early Bookings?
When it comes to booking flights, there are always two options: wait for last-minute deals or book in advance. However, neither option is completely certain.
Last-minute deals can frequently provide significant savings, but they are risky. It’s difficult to predict whether the deals will still be available when you want to travel, and you may need to be flexible with your travel dates and destination. Furthermore, during peak travel seasons, last-minute deals are not always available.
Most tour operators have a separate page on their website with Last-Minute Deals. Booking your flights early, on the other hand, can provide you with peace of mind and potentially save you money. Many airlines offer lower fares to those who book early, and you have more options for seat selection and flight times. Booking early, however, can mean missing out on last-minute deals, and you may need to be more certain of your travel plans.
However, in practice, the closer you get to the departure date, the higher the prices become, with no way of knowing if a Last-Minute Deal for one of your islands is on the way.
Compare flight prices online for cheap tickets
Use flight comparison websites to compare prices from different airlines to find the cheapest tickets possible to your destination. These sites allow you to see the prices of different airlines (also budget airlines are included) and can help you find the cheapest flights. Don’t forget about taxes and fees: Be sure to factor in taxes and fees when comparing flight prices. Sometimes the cheapest flight may not actually be the cheapest once you add in these extra costs.
- Skyscanner is a popular flight comparison website that allows you to compare prices from different airlines, as well as hotels and car rentals.
- Google Flights is a powerful search engine that lets you search for flights and compare prices across multiple airlines. You can also set up price alerts and track the price of a flight over time.
- Kayak is another popular flight comparison website that allows you to search for flights, hotels, and car rentals. It also offers a price forecast feature that can help you decide when to book.
- Momondo is a flight comparison website that searches for flights from multiple airlines and travel agents. It also offers a price alert feature and a “flight insight” tool that provides information on the cheapest days to fly.
- Expedia is a travel booking website that allows you to search for flights, hotels, and vacation packages. It also offers a rewards program that lets you earn points on your bookings.
Choose “All airports” for cheaper tickets
Are you dreaming of a holiday in Greece but haven’t decided on which island to visit yet? Use compare flight prices websites to find the cheapest destination based on your travel dates. By selecting “Greece” as your destination country and choosing the “All airports” option, you can view all available airports in the country and compare prices across the different islands. Or even better: don’t choose a destination at all. Just check what your options are from your departure airport. Sorting the results by price can help you find hidden gems and save money on your flights. Additionally, consider travelling during the shoulder season or on weekdays for even better deals. With a bit of flexibility and research, you can find a budget-friendly island getaway in Greece.
Combination flight and boat trips to save money
Anyway, not all Greek islands are possible by plane and a boat has to be used. In addition, it can be advantageous to check whether a transfer from a plane to a boat can be beneficial. Do check if the airport and port are nearby and that you have to go there at a certain time.
Compare websites for Ferry’s
- Ferryhopper is a comprehensive ferry booking website that allows you to search for ferry routes and schedules between Greek islands and the mainland. The website also provides information on prices, duration, and ferry companies.
- Go-Ferry is another ferry booking website that offers a wide selection of ferry routes and schedules between Greek islands and the mainland. The website allows you to search for ferry tickets and provides information on prices, duration, and ferry companies.
List of large ports with ferries
It should be noted that not every port is adjacent to an airport. See below for a list of the 5 large ports from which ferries depart, along with their distance from the nearest airport.
- Piraeus is the largest port in Greece and is located near Athens. It is an important hub for ferries to and from the Cyclades, the Dodecanese, Crete, the Saronic islands, and the Sporades. Located 30km from Athens International Airport (ATH) and frequent public transportation like buses and the metro.
- Rafina is a port town near Athens and offers ferry connections to the Cyclades and the Aegean islands. Located 30km from Athens International Airport(ATH) and frequent public transportation like buses and taxis.
- Heraklion is the main port of Crete and offers ferry connections to the mainland of Greece and the Cyclades. Located 5km from Heraklion International Airport (HER) and frequent public transportation like buses and taxis.
- Thessaloniki is the second-largest city in Greece and has an important port that offers ferries to the North Aegean islands and the Sporades. Located 14km from Thessaloniki International Airport (SKG) and frequent public transportation like buses and taxis.
- Patras is a port city in western Greece and offers ferry connections to Italy and the Ionian islands. Located 38km from Araxos Airport (GPA) and frequent public transportation like buses and taxis.
Flexibility is the key to cheap tickets
Are you dreaming of jetting off to your dream destination but are held back by the sky-high prices of flight tickets? Fear not, as there are ways to score cheap flight tickets, and it all boils down to being flexible with your travel plans.
If you have a fixed travel schedule, you may find that flights during weekends and holidays are more expensive than on weekdays. This is because airlines know that many people are looking to take advantage of their time off, which means more demand and higher prices. If you can be flexible with your travel dates, consider travelling during the week, when fewer people are likely to fly, and prices are generally lower.
Another factor that affects the price of your flight tickets is the time of day you choose to fly. The less comfortable it is, such as really early in the morning or late at night, the less popular it is, which means airlines may lower prices to fill seats. By being willing to endure a less-than-ideal flight time, you could save big on your travel expenses.
Connection flights save money
To save some extra money, consider booking a connecting flight instead of a direct flight, especially when travelling to remote destinations. For example, instead of booking a direct flight to a Greek island, you can opt for a transfer via Athens and save significant money.
However, there is a risk involved as you need to make sure you have enough transfer time between flights to avoid missing your connecting flight. To increase your chances of success, book your connection flights with the same airline, and check if they offer any assistance in case of a missed connection.
Apart from saving money, connection flights also provide the opportunity to add extra destinations to your itinerary. For instance, book a connecting flight with a layover in a city you’ve always wanted to visit and explore a new destination without breaking the bank.
In conclusion, connecting flights can be an excellent way to save money on your next flight, but careful planning is necessary to avoid any additional expenses. With a bit of research and preparation, you can score a great deal on your flight and even visit a new destination.
Use price alert to get a notification for the cheapest tickets
Set up price alerts: Many airlines and flight comparison websites allow you to set up price alerts for specific flights. This way, you’ll be notified if the price of the flight you want to book changes.
- Skyscanner is a popular flight comparison website that allows you to set up price alerts for specific flights. You can choose to receive alerts via email or push notifications on your mobile device.
- Google Flights allows you to set up price alerts for specific flights and will send you an email when the price changes. You can also track the price of a flight over time and receive notifications when the price drops.
- Kayak allows you to set up price alerts for specific flights, hotels, and car rentals. You can choose to receive alerts via email or push notifications on your mobile device.
- Hopper is a mobile app that allows you to set up price alerts for flights. The app will notify you when the price of a flight you’re interested in drops and provide recommendations on when to book.
- Airfarewatchdog is a flight comparison website that allows you to set up price alerts for specific flights. You can choose to receive alerts via email or push notifications on your mobile device.
Different choices on your plane ticket
If you follow up all the above tips you save already a lot on your flight tickets. However, the following choices you need to make for every booking can add up quite nicely if you make the more expensive choices. Read the following tips to learn more.
Don’t choose a seat
Some airlines allow you to select your seat when you book your flight but charge extra for this service. If you’re willing to take a chance and let the airline assign your seat, you can often save money on your ticket.
Don’t check a bag
Many airlines charge extra fees for checked baggage. If you can pack everything you need in a carry-on bag, you can often save money on your ticket by avoiding these fees. The real diehards even use a pillowcase to carry extra luggage, given that in addition to one suitcase of hand luggage, it is agreed to bring a pillow for sleeping.
Don’t purchase travel insurance
Some airlines offer travel insurance as an add-on to your ticket. However, if you already have travel insurance or don’t feel you need it, you can save money by opting out of this service.
Don’t choose a flexible ticket
Flexible tickets allow you to change your flight plans without penalty but often come with a higher price tag. If you’re certain of your travel plans, you can save money by choosing a non-flexible ticket.
Use airline reward programs
If you frequently travel with the same airline, signing up for their reward program can be a smart move. You can earn points or miles for each flight you take, as well as for other qualifying purchases, such as hotel stays or car rentals. These points can then be redeemed for free flights or upgrades, helping you save money on future travel. Some airlines also offer bonus points for signing up or for reaching certain milestones, so be sure to check for any current promotions. By taking advantage of these reward programs, you can stretch your travel budget further and enjoy more trips in the future. Find below a couple of examples of Airline Rewards in Europe.
- Flying Blue is the loyalty program of Air France, KLM, and their partners. Members can earn miles on flights and other purchases and can use them to book flights, upgrades, and other rewards.
- British Airways Executive Club is the loyalty program of British Airways and its partners. Members can earn Avios points on flights and other travel-related purchases and can use these points to book flights, upgrades, and other rewards.
- Miles & More is the frequent flyer program of Lufthansa and its partners, including Swiss International Airlines and Austrian Airlines. Members can earn miles on flights and other purchases and can use them to book flights, upgrades, and other rewards.
- EuroBonus is the frequent flyer program of Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) and its partners. Members can earn points on flights and other purchases and can use them to book flights, upgrades, and other rewards.
- Iberia Plus is the loyalty program of Iberia Airlines and its partners, including British Airways and American Airlines. Members can earn Avios points on flights and other purchases and can use them to book flights, upgrades, and other rewards.
In conclusion, there are many ways to save money on flights to the Greek islands, from travelling during the low season to booking in advance and being flexible with your travel plans. By using flight comparison websites, setting up price alerts, and taking advantage of airline reward programs, you can score the best deals and stretch your travel budget further. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your next vacation to the beautiful Greek islands and use these tips to find the cheapest flights possible. Book your tickets now and embark on an unforgettable adventure without breaking the bank!